New here

pineappleleader's picture
pineappleleader
March 2, 2009 - 9:30pm
I'm new here. So...I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.

A few days ago I found Bill Logan's website by accident. What a wounderful place. I downloaded the books.
I went and got my old Star Frontiers Box out of the garage - it is the original blue box set - not Alpha Dawn.
I have had the SFAD book from Bill's website printed and am reading it now.

My last Star Frontiers game was in the early 1980's in the United Kingdom. The group I was with played one 4 hour session of Star Frontiers. They didn't like it and we went back to playing AD&D, Top Secret and Classic Traveller. I have never forgotten the car chase we ran - vehicle rules that really work! I want to play again.

I have looked all around Bill's website and this one. Very impressive.

One Question: I usually play with miniature figures or paper "standies", not with counters. Are there any miniatures (paper, plastic, metal) still made for Star Frontiers? I know that some ship minis were made, but don't remember seeing any character minis.

Cheers,
Comments:

Shadow Shack's picture
Shadow Shack
March 3, 2009 - 5:41am
Good golly...what manner of person prefers the five minute resolution system for firing one bullet in Top Secret to the simplicity of Star Frontiers?!? Foot in mouth

Welcome to our corner of the Frontier. Jedion357 should come along and answer this one for ya, he's heavily into miniatures so he ought to point you in the right direction for something compatible.
I'm not overly fond of Zeb's Guide...nor do I have any qualms stating why. Tongue out

My SF website

Rum Rogue's picture
Rum Rogue
March 3, 2009 - 6:18am
Welcome. Glad we could help rekindle the flame.

I think just about any new miniatures (paper, metal, plastic, gum, other..) are hand crafted or modified existing one, but ask Jedion357, he is definately the go-to guy for miniatures.
Time flies when your having rum.

Im a government employee, I dont goof-off. I constructively abuse my time.

Rum Rogue's picture
Rum Rogue
March 3, 2009 - 6:20am
<delete double post>
Time flies when your having rum.

Im a government employee, I dont goof-off. I constructively abuse my time.

Anonymous's picture
w00t (not verified)
March 3, 2009 - 7:15am
I bought some off ebay and I make my own ship miniatures out of folded paper. If you find what your looking for and are up to the task consider submitting paper-chits or minis to the StarFrontiersman.

:-)

jedion357's picture
jedion357
March 3, 2009 - 7:50am
Greeting fellow games traveller!

Right off the bat you can still find original TSR minis on ebay- however, becarefull they are lead and after 25 years about 40% of them suffer from lead rot (chemical process involving acid from paper, card board and other sources interacting with Co2)

The miniatures company Reaper, which caters to D&D players massively has just started a new line of minis called Chronoscope which caters to sci fi and quasi sci fi gaming- everything from zombie nazis to cowboys to indiana jones genre types to some really cool looking spacer types as well as some aliens. They also initiated P65 metal minis which is a cheaper mix of metal (65% lead as I understand) but I find the quality of the metal slightly below their top notch standard though not so much that it would be noticable after a coat of primer.
http://www.reapermini.com/

Sadly Star Frontiers aliens will be tough to come by out side tracking down the originals.

You could check out these sites for the minis you need:
Old Crow specializes in resin terrain but has some Predator aliens minis with matching clear resin mini to sim invisible predators look for the listing INAP (Its Not A Predator) They's thrown in extras on both of my orders.
http://www.oldcrowmodels.co.uk/

Ground Zero Games- excellent stuff in 15mm and 28mm good product wide ranges store catalog seems to be undergoing a revamp and they have great customer service (quick communication via email) very nice ship minis that matched my old SF minis very well- good source for fighter craft.
http://www.groundzerogames.net/

Alternative Armies- their flagship game is Flintloque and Slaughterloo which is a fantasy version of Napoleanics- however they're rereleasing their old ION range this year (I play tested the rules last year with some of their old figs I got off ebay) their figure line for this game has some real surprises (I was blown away by the remote gun and its gunner with the remote control as well as a 70mm tall killer robot with a rotory gun) in it so I'd watch for them.
http://www.alternative-armies.com/

Hassel Free Miniatures- small little company (husband-sculpter & wife-customer service) with an expanding line of top quality stuff- I love their space dwarves & pirates and I've bought several of their fantasy figures.
http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/

Old Glory caters to historical gamers in several scales and produce stuff in such quantity that they can price it at $1/28mm, however they picked up some smaller lines by Blue moon that have some awesome figs and vehicles- I've never had a proplem with any shipment but they are notorious about not answering email enquiries but at a $1/ mini I'm not complaining.
http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/bluemoon.asp

MegaMiniatures the ebay store has cheap minis- they specialize in offering stuff that no one else has though the quality of the sculpt isn't say Foundry or Reaper miniature still they have stuff good stuff cheap and I've bought from them countless times plus they have great customer service and they take PayPal. They offer a line of robots (20 total), plus some alien bar scene aliens with band (20 total) and some space men that look like they stepped off a Star Trek set with captain Kirk and spock. and they offer some paper models for free of 28mm scale vehicles (yellow taxi, hearse, fire truck, crates, trailor park trailors, etc.)
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/MegaMiniatures__W0QQ_nkwZminiaturesQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_sasiZ1

I could go on about more sites but these should keep you busy.

feel free to PM me if you need answers on anything.

Jedion
I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

TerlObar's picture
TerlObar
March 3, 2009 - 9:03am
Welcome vack to Star Frontiers, pineappleleader.  Hope you enjoy this site and the other Star Frontiers sites out there.

Jedion357, can we use that post in the Star Frontiersman Magazine?  I think it would be an excellent review of where to get minis and could be used as a short one-page game reference material article.  Maybe with a few pics of your minis to fill it out.
Ad Astra Per Ardua!
Webmaster - The Star Frontiers Network & this site
Founding Editor - The Frontier Explorer Magazine
Managing Editor - The Star Frontiersman Magazine

jedion357's picture
jedion357
March 3, 2009 - 12:08pm
Sure no problem, Whens the dead line I'll need about a week to sort out my photography problems and I'll see if I can't do photos of most of the sites listed plus some old TSR minis that I have done.
I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

Anonymous's picture
w00t (not verified)
March 3, 2009 - 2:56pm
jedion357 wrote:
Sure no problem, Whens the dead line I'll need about a week to sort out my photography problems and I'll see if I can't do photos of most of the sites listed plus some old TSR minis that I have done.
You have one week. AND BEGIN!

Rum Rogue's picture
Rum Rogue
March 3, 2009 - 4:52pm
jedion357 wrote:
Alternative Armies- their flagship game is Flintloque and Slaughterloo which is a fantasy version of Napoleanics- however they're rereleasing their old ION range this year (I play tested the rules last year with some of their old figs I got off ebay) their figure line for this game has some real surprises (I was blown away by the remote gun and its gunner with the remote control as well as a 70mm tall killer robot with a rotory gun) in it so I'd watch for them.
http://www.alternative-armies.com/

Ok, I am really wanting to see those two miniatures.  Cant find them on the website... going insane... out of rum..
You got pictures of the remote gun and robot?
Time flies when your having rum.

Im a government employee, I dont goof-off. I constructively abuse my time.

Imperial Lord's picture
Imperial Lord
March 3, 2009 - 9:26pm
Welcome back to the community of one of the best RPGs ever made.

jedion357's picture
jedion357
March 4, 2009 - 6:06am
Rum Rogue wrote:
jedion357 wrote:
Alternative Armies- their flagship game is Flintloque and Slaughterloo which is a fantasy version of Napoleanics- however they're rereleasing their old ION range this year (I play tested the rules last year with some of their old figs I got off ebay) their figure line for this game has some real surprises (I was blown away by the remote gun and its gunner with the remote control as well as a 70mm tall killer robot with a rotory gun) in it so I'd watch for them.
http://www.alternative-armies.com/

Ok, I am really wanting to see those two miniatures.  Cant find them on the website... going insane... out of rum..
You got pictures of the remote gun and robot?


Good news for you- I recently finished painting all but one of the figures though I'm not sure about the gun anyhow I'll get pictures up for them and if you email Alex at AA
(enquiries@alternative-armies.com)and tell him I sent you and ask if a particular figure is available he may just humor you with a quote for that figure as he's done for me in the past. They really are a great bunch with great customer service.
Jedion
I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

Rum Rogue's picture
Rum Rogue
March 4, 2009 - 8:55am
Thanks Jed.

I am still looking through that site. Few more days and I will place an order. 
Time flies when your having rum.

Im a government employee, I dont goof-off. I constructively abuse my time.

jedion357's picture
jedion357
March 4, 2009 - 11:42am
I just did up some photos and posted them at:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/SF-Un/
in an album titled Characters.
You can see a selection of the manufacturers and figures I mentioned
Not totally pleased with the lighting so feel free to crit. if the photos wont do for the magazine.

I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

pineappleleader's picture
pineappleleader
March 4, 2009 - 3:13pm
Thanks to everybody (especially Jedion for all the links).

Rum Rogue's picture
Rum Rogue
March 4, 2009 - 9:13pm
jedion357 wrote:

You can see a selection of the manufacturers and figures I mentioned
Not totally pleased with the lighting so feel free to crit. if the photos wont do for the magazine.

Looks good.  The detail on remote cannon and robot is nice.

Thanks for sharing.
Time flies when your having rum.

Im a government employee, I dont goof-off. I constructively abuse my time.

jedion357's picture
jedion357
March 15, 2009 - 8:41pm
I talked with Alternative armies about their old Fire fight game figures which their re-releasing as Star Vaulter line and though they couldn't give me a hard date they did say the launch is spring/summer

though you may just find some of the old box sets on ebay under the name fire fight or alternative armies.
I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

pineappleleader's picture
pineappleleader
March 16, 2009 - 6:14pm
Must be my lucky day.

I have found three boxes of Star Frontiers miniatures. These appear to be "true" 25mm figures. Two boxes of Player Characters and one of Spacefarers. Several of the figures are in two pieces and have to be assembled. Many of the weapons are broken off. Jedion - I see what you mean by "Lead Rot".

But...at least the figures look the part. All of the Dralasite figures and the Vrusk Spacefarers are very tiny. The Spacefarers Box has one extra figure (a duplicate), and one of the figures is in a pose slightly different from that shown on the back of the box.

Also I ordered the "First six months of the revival" issue of Star Frontiersman Magazine. It came in the mail today. It contains the first six issues as one book. The book is of excellent quality and the price was very reasonable (well...cheap actually). I am really impressed with it and recommend it.

jedion357's picture
jedion357
March 16, 2009 - 10:06pm
pineappleleader wrote:
Jedion - I see what you mean by "Lead Rot".




hopefully its not to far advanced and you can halt it with a baking soda bath (you'll know if you use too much baking soda as they'll come out with a white film on them) I let them soak a day or two and scrub them under running water with an old toothbrush and some steal wool. The steal wool will let you buff off light lead rot. that that you cant get off with steal wool you'll need a file to work on it. The danger here besides lead dust is that you might obliterate details. once you've cleaned it the best you can enamel primer is the best bet to seal out CO2 which plays a part in the process of lead rot. and store them in a non acidic environment.

I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

pineappleleader's picture
pineappleleader
March 17, 2009 - 10:34am
Thanks for the information. I know nothing about the care and painting of miniatures.

jedion357's picture
jedion357
March 17, 2009 - 8:22pm
It turns out that Alternative armies has the 15mm versions of their upcoming sci-fi figures already out on their sister site:
 

http://www.15mm.co.uk/HOF17_Giant_Mechanoid.htm

  http://www.15mm.co.uk/HOF16_Giant_Mechanoid.htm

Despite the fact that I love 28mm, 15's make a lot of sense as their cheaper, lighter, easier to store and paint and you could use them directly on the Port Loren map



I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

pineappleleader's picture
pineappleleader
March 17, 2009 - 8:54pm
jedion357 wrote:
It turns out that Alternative armies has the 15mm versions of their upcoming sci-fi figures already out on their sister site:
 

http://www.15mm.co.uk/HOF17_Giant_Mechanoid.htm

  http://www.15mm.co.uk/HOF16_Giant_Mechanoid.htm

Despite the fact that I love 28mm, 15's make a lot of sense as their cheaper, lighter, easier to store and paint and you could use them directly on the Port Loren map

I've got a box full of 15mm Laserburn minis, mostly unpainted. The few painted ones, done by a friend, are mounted on United States of America pennies. They seemed, to me, just a bit too large for the Port Loren Map, but still usable.

Too bad no one does Vrusk in 15mm.Smile


jedion357's picture
jedion357
March 17, 2009 - 8:59pm
pineappleleader wrote:
jedion357 wrote:
It turns out that Alternative armies has the 15mm versions of their upcoming sci-fi figures already out on their sister site:
 

http://www.15mm.co.uk/HOF17_Giant_Mechanoid.htm

  http://www.15mm.co.uk/HOF16_Giant_Mechanoid.htm

Despite the fact that I love 28mm, 15's make a lot of sense as their cheaper, lighter, easier to store and paint and you could use them directly on the Port Loren map

I've got a box full of 15mm Laserburn minis, mostly unpainted. The few painted ones, done by a friend, are mounted on United States of America pennies. They seemed, to me, just a bit too large for the Port Loren Map, but still usable.

Too bad no one does Vrusk in 15mm.Smile



I was actually thinking to use 1/4" fender washers - there is a little hole in the wall hardware store in my neighborhood that stocks those as well as 20mm fender washers which the big chain hardware stores dont carry! Down with megacorps support your local small businesses!
I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

pineappleleader's picture
pineappleleader
March 18, 2009 - 1:53pm
jedion357 wrote:
pineappleleader wrote:
jedion357 wrote:
It turns out that Alternative armies has the 15mm versions of their upcoming sci-fi figures already out on their sister site:
 

http://www.15mm.co.uk/HOF17_Giant_Mechanoid.htm

  http://www.15mm.co.uk/HOF16_Giant_Mechanoid.htm

Despite the fact that I love 28mm, 15's make a lot of sense as their cheaper, lighter, easier to store and paint and you could use them directly on the Port Loren map

I've got a box full of 15mm Laserburn minis, mostly unpainted. The few painted ones, done by a friend, are mounted on United States of America pennies. They seemed, to me, just a bit too large for the Port Loren Map, but still usable.

Too bad no one does Vrusk in 15mm.Smile



I was actually thinking to use 1/4" fender washers - there is a little hole in the wall hardware store in my neighborhood that stocks those as well as 20mm fender washers which the big chain hardware stores dont carry! Down with megacorps support your local small businesses!

Ah...Washers would work too. I used pennies because most of my figures are in copper colored power armor and the copper base looks sooo cool. Also with pennies there is no hole for the little guys to trip over and fall down when running across the table. Tongue out