"It is so quiet around here..."

umungus's picture
umungus
November 19, 2008 - 8:57am
How quiet you ask?

It is so quiet you can hear a Dralasite resperating.....!


....rim shot

At least I got to scare an alien rabbit thingy......

Comments:

Anonymous's picture
w00t (not verified)
November 19, 2008 - 10:24am
I've not been posting a lot on this site but I have been working on SF.

  • Issue 10
  • I'm creating a campaign for my wife and I to play
  • Online game All that Glitter's - Tuesdays
  • Reading old issues of the zine and coming up with ideas - mainly tinkering

I would say the SF Revival that started with Bill Logan -- putting out the best zine in the world, creating this site and inspiring us all with his SF-Fu - since he has been absent it's been kinda dead. I also took a break for a while. There was a time when people were submitting some cool ideas, ships, keeping us up to date on their game and artwork. What happen to them? dunno.

We also miss Corjay's contributions that made the site seem alive.



Corvus's picture
Corvus
November 19, 2008 - 12:15pm
It's quiet around here because the guy who was the driving force, the guy who designed this site to please himself, turned his back on everyone else without even the consideration to let someone know he was still alive.  Tell me, why should anyone else care when the people most important to making it all work don't?
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. -- Carl Sagan

umungus's picture
umungus
November 19, 2008 - 12:29pm
Bill was burned out. He did a lot for the community and had to go. Why pe irked at him?

At least I got to scare an alien rabbit thingy......


Will's picture
Will
November 19, 2008 - 3:31pm
w00t wrote:
I've not been posting a lot on this site but I have been working on SF.

  • Issue 10
  • I'm creating a campaign for my wife and I to play
  • Online game All that Glitter's - Tuesdays
  • Reading old issues of the zine and coming up with ideas - mainly tinkering

I would say the SF Revival that started with Bill Logan -- putting out the best zine in the world, creating this site and inspiring us all with his SF-Fu - since he has been absent it's been kinda dead. I also took a break for a while. There was a time when people were submitting some cool ideas, ships, keeping us up to date on their game and artwork. What happen to them? dunno.

We also miss Corjay's contributions that made the site seem alive.




I only missed CJ cos  my aim was bad. :D

Seriously, I think Arizona's busy with his new comic, Doctor Major Tom's busy with his other site, the game, the zine, the space program.....

Me, on the other hand, have been busy working like a dog to stay poor as a churchmouse, writing whenever I get a spare nanosecond, other fun stuff.

It happens....looks like it's up to us to keep things going.

'Sides, I think Bill was more hurt by CJ's leaving than any of us thought. 

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Fu-Man_Chu's picture
Fu-Man_Chu
November 19, 2008 - 6:17pm
What happened with CJ anyways?

I pop in and out of here depending on how busy I am and what games I'm playing in.

I just introduced my home group which has been doing D&D for the past 6 years - to my house-ruled SF system this past Sunday when I returned to SoCal.

We had a good time as they created fledgling characters joining the Search Expoloration Evaluation Recon (SEER) Corps. During their last simulated exercise, a tentacled, sharp-tooth land animal unexpectedly showed up and started munching on them - they escaped with only 2 men downed.

I'm glad they liked it as they rather critical, all of us having gamed over 20 years each - well, except for one guy's 8 year-old son. They're asking to play again - always a good sign. Hoping to play with my still-forming Indianapolis group again this weekend...

-Andrew
http://www.AndrewLChang.com/RPG


AZ_GAMER's picture
AZ_GAMER
November 19, 2008 - 7:15pm
Not too busy though to stop in and say Hi! Btw I am reading everything that I possibly have time to that everyone is putting together. I'm really not sure what needs my contributions right now, I have lost track as to what artwork I submitted to the Frontiersman so I'm not sure whats needed or what has been sent or who has what since the changing of the guard with Bill's absence. I understand Corvus' frustration, but I'm afraid that I dont share his sentiment. I believe the site is doing fine, it's just a busy time and lots of people are getting ready for the Holidays. As for me, I have always been a story teller and idea man, I was never good at crunching out numbers, creating tables and stats, or generating new rule systems. I have created my share of house rules in my time but have never been much of rules lawyer. Not to mention, I pretty much never paid any attention to Zebs guide (GASP) While I read it and appreciated its new approach to the game, I pretty much just use it as a resource and have never implemented its rules into play. So I keep my stats and game tables pretty basic. Howver, i do love contributing to everyones projects and especially anytime I can put some art into it. So in a nutshell, I'm still here and still contributing just been busy. I try to stop in at least once a day to check on whats going in the site (and hoping for feedback and fan-mail on my comic projects)

SmootRK's picture
SmootRK
November 19, 2008 - 8:15pm
I am just busy lately, and working on other games concurrently (Basic Fantasy RPG).  I go through phases anyhow, and sometime the tide will turn back.  Hopefully Bill will experience this as well.  I miss him.
<insert witty comment here>

Sam's picture
Sam
November 19, 2008 - 10:04pm
I've been around as well, trying to keep up with what is going on. Still tinkering with a couple items. But its hard to find the time -- building a shed, along with work and kids tends to reduce one's writing time.

Anonymous's picture
w00t (not verified)
November 20, 2008 - 8:59am
SmootRK wrote:
I am just busy lately, and working on other games concurrently (Basic Fantasy RPG).  I go through phases anyhow, and sometime the tide will turn back.  Hopefully Bill will experience this as well.  I miss him.

Basic Plus
That is a real slick site and idea.
I bet Shadow Shack would like todo something like that for Basic Plus 

TerlObar's picture
TerlObar
November 21, 2008 - 10:03am
I'm always here as well.  I've been sick or travelling for the past month and have not been spending as much time on SF as I have in the past.  I've also been a bit distracted playing HarpoonSmile.  Guess I just need a change of pace.  I'm about to dive back into the magazine with w00t to start laying out the next issue and getting back to work on my computer program to play KH.

In truth, there really are only about a dozen of us that are really active. So as the normal rhythms of life give us more and less time for this particular hobby, the SF sites regularly go through dry spells.  As this thread shows, we are paying attention but don't have much new to discuss right now.  It will probabaly get worse over the next month or so.  Things tend to get pretty dead over the holidays.
Ad Astra Per Ardua!
Webmaster - The Star Frontiers Network & this site
Founding Editor - The Frontier Explorer Magazine
Managing Editor - The Star Frontiersman Magazine

Fu-Man_Chu's picture
Fu-Man_Chu
November 21, 2008 - 11:13am

See! Lots of quick responses here... shows we're around, just keeping quiet 8-)...

And AZ Gamer, I'd love to see what other art you've done. Is it posted anywhere?

-Andrew
http://www.AndrewLChang.com/RPG


bioreplica's picture
bioreplica
November 21, 2008 - 3:58pm
Hello [stop] Very busy professionally [stop] Will submit color ship deckplans for issue #11 [stop] Back to work [stop] bye ... ;)
«Language is a virus from outer space» William S. Burroughs

Anonymous's picture
w00t (not verified)
November 21, 2008 - 5:55pm
bioreplica wrote:
Hello [stop] Very busy professionally [stop] Will submit color ship deckplans for issue #11 [stop] Back to work [stop] bye ... ;)


STOP!

lol Foot in mouth

Terl, mental note - COLOR deckplans for Issue 11!

w00t!

Full Bleed's picture
Full Bleed
November 21, 2008 - 7:25pm
TerlObar wrote:
It will probabaly get worse over the next month or so.  Things tend to get pretty dead over the holidays.


And come spring/summer, people say it tends to get dead because people are out enjoying the weather, going on vacations, and doing fun summer stuff.

So, when exactly is the time of year that people get active online?  ;)


TerlObar's picture
TerlObar
November 21, 2008 - 7:38pm
About one week in March and another in October Foot in mouth.

Based on last year, it was fairly dead Nov, Dec, June and July.  Other than that things weren't too bad.  This has never been a super lively community.  There just aren't enough of us.
Ad Astra Per Ardua!
Webmaster - The Star Frontiers Network & this site
Founding Editor - The Frontier Explorer Magazine
Managing Editor - The Star Frontiersman Magazine

Will's picture
Will
November 22, 2008 - 9:24am
TerlObar wrote:
I'm always here as well.  I've been sick or travelling for the past month and have not been spending as much time on SF as I have in the past.  I've also been a bit distracted playing HarpoonSmile.  Guess I just need a change of pace.  I'm about to dive back into the magazine with w00t to start laying out the next issue and getting back to work on my computer program to play KH.

In truth, there really are only about a dozen of us that are really active. So as the normal rhythms of life give us more and less time for this particular hobby, the SF sites regularly go through dry spells.  As this thread shows, we are paying attention but don't have much new to discuss right now.  It will probabaly get worse over the next month or so.  Things tend to get pretty dead over the holidays.


Harpoon....fastest combat resolution system in the West...or any other cardinal point.

I've even used it for other games, adapting the system's air-to-air combat rules for 2300AD.

Solid paper and dice sim.
 

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Will's picture
Will
November 22, 2008 - 9:25am
TerlObar wrote:
About one week in March and another in October Foot in mouth.

Based on last year, it was fairly dead Nov, Dec, June and July.  Other than that things weren't too bad.  This has never been a super lively community.  There just aren't enough of us.


And, we're all old farts anyway....

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Anonymous's picture
w00t (not verified)
November 22, 2008 - 4:24pm
Will wrote:
TerlObar wrote:
About one week in March and another in October Foot in mouth.

Based on last year, it was fairly dead Nov, Dec, June and July.  Other than that things weren't too bad.  This has never been a super lively community.  There just aren't enough of us.


And, we're all old farts anyway....


Fart for yourself.
err speak for yourself.

Will's picture
Will
November 23, 2008 - 12:24pm
Fu-Man_Chu wrote:

See! Lots of quick responses here... shows we're around, just keeping quiet 8-)...

And AZ Gamer, I'd love to see what other art you've done. Is it posted anywhere?



In answer to your question, Andrew, CJ left the site and took his stuff with him back in February(?), following a heated discussion with another member, and CJ's perception that Bill was taking said member's side over his.

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Will's picture
Will
November 23, 2008 - 12:25pm
w00t wrote:
Will wrote:
TerlObar wrote:
About one week in March and another in October Foot in mouth.

Based on last year, it was fairly dead Nov, Dec, June and July.  Other than that things weren't too bad.  This has never been a super lively community.  There just aren't enough of us.


And, we're all old farts anyway....


Fart for yourself.
err speak for yourself.


I had polish dogs and sauerkraut last night...that's all I've been doing....:D

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

AZ_GAMER's picture
AZ_GAMER
November 23, 2008 - 2:55pm

Fu-man-chu, thank you! There are several pieces of my art on the projects for this site and in the latest issue of the Frontiersman. If you'd like a copy of my comic book just send me your email address and I  will add you to the mailing list. The website domain has been purchased and our site should be up in a month or two.


AZ_GAMER's picture
AZ_GAMER
November 23, 2008 - 2:56pm
I also hope to get a lil freetime to put pen to paper and do some old fashioned free-hand here too, If only there was more time in the day.

CleanCutRogue's picture
CleanCutRogue
November 23, 2008 - 11:49pm
Hi guys!

I'm still around - still paying for the site, just sadly soooooo busy that I can barely juggle being a dad and husband much less a hobbyist.  But I do play now and then, and whenever I do I get to feeling bad about abandoning the community I helped out.  

I'm going to make an effort to climb back into the saddle more regularly.  I'll try to get online maybe even daily.  I've been absent for quite a while, but was so pleased to see that issue 9 came out without me around.  That was cool, and it was pretty darned good too!

I've been bouncing around the globe (literally - my last one-week trip took me all the way around the world, the full circumference!) and working hard at my new career in the solar power industry.  Things are starting to settle now.  In fact, because of the credit crisis in this country, along with the horrible stock market situation for publicly traded companies like the one for which I work, our growth has slowed and it looks like I'll be doing a little less travel next year.  I'm excited to get back into this hobby.

Corvus - sorry you seem rather put off by my abrupt absence (and specifically my lack of informing you).  I've just been prioritizing things and trying to keep my head above water.  I've also been bad about keeping in touch with Larry/w00t, a friend during all this.  I need to sleep less, maybe that's it.  :-P
3. We wear sungoggles during the day. Not because the sun affects our vision, but when you're cool like us the sun shines all the time.

-top 11 reasons to be a Yazirian, ShadowShack


SmootRK's picture
SmootRK
November 24, 2008 - 2:45am
Its nice to see you again!!
<insert witty comment here>

umungus's picture
umungus
November 24, 2008 - 8:37am

Hey CCR,
Glad you dropped in.

I have no problem with you at all. Glad you got things started. I have a long time game going with my friends and family, owe it all to you.

If you are ever in Northen California bring your character sheet! heheheSmile

At least I got to scare an alien rabbit thingy......


Anonymous's picture
w00t (not verified)
November 24, 2008 - 9:32am
CCR!!!!!! Hip hippy sun rays!

The ole w00t's been needed an oil change with all the gear grinding, star frontiers'ish stuff going on around here. :-)

About sleep... my boss says it's overrated. I don't believe him.

CleanCutRogue's picture
CleanCutRogue
November 24, 2008 - 3:37pm
My mom says any more sleep than 4 hours is pure lazy.

3. We wear sungoggles during the day. Not because the sun affects our vision, but when you're cool like us the sun shines all the time.

-top 11 reasons to be a Yazirian, ShadowShack


AZ_GAMER's picture
AZ_GAMER
November 25, 2008 - 12:11am
Welcome Home CCR