Whats on my mind this week in the Frontier

jedion357's picture
jedion357
December 17, 2009 - 10:25pm
Besides 5 or so SFman articles I should be working on and some tricky finagling of game details for the Online game I run. Plus piddly little real world concerns like Christmas shopping.

I've suddenly had a few adventure Ideas
I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!
Comments:

jedion357's picture
jedion357
December 17, 2009 - 11:08pm
1. Just a basic simple idea but with so much potential: The PC's ship has been boarded but not by their invitation. They are aware of the security breach and trying to run the intruder down but he's been giving them the slip. Not suitable with a small ship and probably a good evening of adventure.

A. he's after something .
B. He has some abilities that facilitate his evasion of capture
c. PC's must compile clues to figure out what he wants or how to capture/neutralized
I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

jedion357's picture
jedion357
December 17, 2009 - 11:07pm
2. "The Program":
Alpha Section: PCs hired to snatch a person off a commune planet. Cult leaders are all lvl 5-6 phsyco social skilled and for some reason have near sathar abilities when it comes to hypnotism and persuasion
The target is totally gone over and will stop at nothing to harm or hinder the PCs even dialling a laser pistol up to 10 SEUs to shoot at them.

Honestly I haven't fully thought this one out but thought it would be fun to sneak into a cultist commune, kick some cultist butt and rocket of the planet just before cult security could get to the ship.

Beta section: Of course the adventure shouldn't stop there. the cultist will show up at the space station the PCs dock at by the hundreds and become a massive nuisance and cant be dealt with by drawing a gun as militia security would come down on them. But plague the PCs and generally make it very difficult to deprogram the snatched target and deliver him/her/it to the family.

Gamma Section: The PCs have learned some fairly sinister secret about the cult and are force to seek a final show down with its leadership. What came to mind on this point is that they've been implanting chips into peoples brains (maybe orgainc computer chips that allow mind control but would be very difficult to detect) The only way to deprogram their target is to take down the whole program which might mean a return to the cultist planet.
maybe need a "Dr Saddistic Frag Hole" working with the cult doing the implants

I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

Rum Rogue's picture
Rum Rogue
December 18, 2009 - 6:13am
Nice ideas.
#1 would make a nice one or two night adventure.
#2 sounds fun-as-hell.  but with a name of "Dr. Saddistic Frag Hole" would he really get all that many followers? Innocent  I bet Oprah endorsed him when he seemed legit.
Time flies when your having rum.

Im a government employee, I dont goof-off. I constructively abuse my time.

jedion357's picture
jedion357
December 18, 2009 - 7:14am
Rum Rogue wrote:
  but with a name of "Dr. Saddistic Frag Hole" would he really get all that many followers? Innocent 


LOL, of late I dont even bother giving names to NPC in an adventure blurb just the descriptive line that helps me think about them and if the adventure gets off the ground I slip a name in latter.
To clarify the cult is run by Physco-social skilled guys who would remind me of the snake cult leader in the Conan movie.
And Dr Saddistic works with the cult management but he's not a true believer, he's using them for the opportunity to work on his own pet theories and experiments and they're happy to use him for his abilities.
This sets up a divided agenda but cooporative agenda at the upper eschelons of cult leadership.
It could be that the cultist are just nut jobs and are no more evil then any other deluded nut but the Dr is truly evil OR the cult leadership are the farthest thing from deluded but down right evil but the good Dr is only saddistic and slightly deluded and is allowing himself to be used as its an opportunity to experiement on beings that would never be allowed in normal society and he really believes in his deluded theories.

Or The cult leadership and the Dr are both thoroughly evil with evil plans and they're both content to use each other.

I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

w00t's picture
w00t
December 18, 2009 - 7:15am
Great stuff for the Adventure! section in the webzine. (I sound like a broken record saying, "for the webzine", all the time. haha)

I have an idea I've been kicking around. I call it a Referee's Adventure Screen. It contains all the tables necessary to add details to an adventure. It's basically the Quick Reference Booklet with additional tables form the Star Frontiersman and my own stuff.

Examples include;
  • Character's with Class (to create that Level 5 baddie)
  • Thug, Mooks and Goons (names and stats)
  • Random encounter tables based on environment
  • Starport layovers #5-p8
  • Random weapon table (low, med. and high damage output)
  • Random traps (outdoor, urban, spaceship)
  • Archetypes (good for baddies or NPC tag-along)
  • Vehicles
So.... you can take a adventure idea and start rolling on some tables to fill in NPC data, vehilces, robots, whatnot....

--w00t
"Will pawn for content."

w00t's picture
w00t
December 18, 2009 - 7:25am
I'd like to see something like;
Murder on the Truane's Star Express
A who done it adventure for 2 to 4 characters.

jedion357's picture
jedion357
December 18, 2009 - 7:25am
w00t wrote:


I have an idea I've been kicking around. I call it a Referee's Adventure Screen. It contains all the tables necessary to add details to an adventure. It's basically the Quick Reference Booklet with additional tables form the Star Frontiersman and my own stuff.


This is a reat idea. Though I'd recommend changing the word screen as it sounds thick enough to be a booklet. Maybe call it Referee's Adventure Companion, or Woots Guide to Refereeing.
I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

jedion357's picture
jedion357
December 18, 2009 - 7:45am
w00t wrote:
I'd like to see something like;
Murder on the Truane's Star Express
A who done it adventure for 2 to 4 characters.


That adventure was keyed to the deck plans I had on hand which were enourmous (20 decks)
so I never wrote it up for the zine. But I suppose that it could be written up in a general fashion with the timeline of events being keyed to general ship areas that are common to almost all ships and GM's would just use the deck plans they have or adapt the adventure to the ship the players are already using.

Locations for stuff to happen would be engineering, cargo hold, the galley, passenger deck, crew quarters. It bears thinking on.

I had been kicking around the SF adventure written for kids written from the Port Loren CSI angle.
1. I was thinking a robbery at a museum. Alpha section is examine the crime scene and look for clues
with what they find leads to Beta section
Robbery performed by robots (reduces violence if you just have to shoot up machines plus it would be only normal for people to try to use a robot to commit a crime- if for no other reason to create reasonable doubt)
The item stolen was the navigation computer module relic from one of the original colony ships that brought humans to the Frontier.

Beta Section is entering and searching the roboticist master mind's hide out but its defended by robots
Clues there lead to a lost colony transport somewhere (hidden in asteroids or in an unexplored star system though its hard to imagine a police force sending a squad to far flung lost planet on the off chance they'll catch up with a criminal.

Gamma section is exploring the lost ship and confronting the criminal. End the adventure with a classic the volcano is exploding/ planet is breaking up that the squad has to escape from ie the environment is trying to kill them and its a run back to the ship and try to get out in time.
I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

Rum Rogue's picture
Rum Rogue
December 18, 2009 - 7:50am
jedion357 wrote:
LOL, of late I dont even bother giving names to NPC in an adventure blurb just the descriptive line that helps me think about them and if the adventure gets off the ground I slip a name in latter.

I fully understand.  it was just too good of an oppurtunity to be a smartass.
I do the same. Most of the time I dont even have a name until one of the players says something.
I found out my named baddies die rather fast and painfull, its the minions that that my players have issues with.  They usually miss one and make a BIG deal about chasing him down I have to stat him out. Or the do something to push the last minion over the edge and it then becomes a major baddie worse than the original boss.
jedion357 wrote:
To clarify the cult is run by Physco-social skilled guys who would remind me of the snake cult leader in the Conan movie.

Nice image. That alone will mess with players.Cool (insert clappy hand emote-icon)
jedion357 wrote:
Or The cult leadership and the Dr are both thoroughly evil with evil plans and they're both content to use each other.
  So it is Oprah and Dr. Phil!!!  ( Yes, I have been watching alot of comedy central this week)
Time flies when your having rum.

Im a government employee, I dont goof-off. I constructively abuse my time.

w00t's picture
w00t
December 18, 2009 - 8:35am
Jedi, I like your name better than mine. :-)

Referee's Adventure Companion


Star Frontiers Adventure's For Kids
SF:AFK01
A Star Frontiers Alpha Dawn adventure for 3-6 kids!

A rouge maintenance robot has removed the navigational computer component from the spaceship you and your family are traveling on. It has released a gas into the life support system. All the adults became very sleepy and went to their rooms for a nap. Some stayed on the entertainment deck and fell asleep. Steward robots keep trying to serve them drinks but the adults won't respond.

Your Mission: Find the rouge robot and take back the navigation computer.

The rouge robot is not aware that children are unaffected by the gas. The robot is going around the ship reprogramming other robots to steal items of value. Later that day another ship will arrive, PIRATES! They must have planted the robot and are going to board the ship and take all the valuables. Can you stop the robots and prevent the pirates from entering the ship? YES! Lucky for you that Mom and Dad bought you CeeBee the Wonder Bot! He...errr... although CB can't fight, he is very smart and could probably help with anything technical.

Will's picture
Will
December 18, 2009 - 8:47am
jedion357 wrote:
1. Just a basic simple idea but with so much potential: The PC's ship has been boarded but not by their invitation. They are aware of the security breach and trying to run the intruder down but he's been giving them the slip. Not suitable with a small ship and probably a good evening of adventure.

A. he's after something .
B. He has some abilities that facilitate his evasion of capture
c. PC's must compile clues to figure out what he wants or how to capture/neutralized


All crew seal up their vacc suits, flip the switch, no more intruder! Simple.

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Will's picture
Will
December 18, 2009 - 8:55am
jedion357 wrote:
2. "The Program":
Alpha Section: PCs hired to snatch a person off a commune planet. Cult leaders are all lvl 5-6 phsyco social skilled and for some reason have near sathar abilities when it comes to hypnotism and persuasion
The target is totally gone over and will stop at nothing to harm or hinder the PCs even dialling a laser pistol up to 10 SEUs to shoot at them.

Honestly I haven't fully thought this one out but thought it would be fun to sneak into a cultist commune, kick some cultist butt and rocket of the planet just before cult security could get to the ship.


Alpha Section: Nuke the commune til it glows, extract the target, shoot other survivors in the dark.

jedion357 wrote:
Beta section: Of course the adventure shouldn't stop there. the cultist will show up at the space station the PCs dock at by the hundreds and become a massive nuisance and cant be dealt with by drawing a gun as militia security would come down on them. But plague the PCs and generally make it very difficult to deprogram the snatched target and deliver him/her/it to the family.


Beta Section: The Drazi method: Gather all cultists in one place with promise of handing over target to them. Close the air doors, open the space doors, and, look, mommy! Dead floating cultists!

jedion357 wrote:
Gamma Section: The PCs have learned some fairly sinister secret about the cult and are force to seek a final show down with its leadership. What came to mind on this point is that they've been implanting chips into peoples brains (maybe orgainc computer chips that allow mind control but would be very difficult to detect) The only way to deprogram their target is to take down the whole program which might mean a return to the cultist planet.
maybe need a "Dr Saddistic Frag Hole" working with the cult doing the implants


Gamma Section: See Alpha Section.

Don't mind me, jedi. With Hypocrimass only a week away, I just feel a Klingon mood coming on.

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

AZ_GAMER's picture
AZ_GAMER
December 18, 2009 - 5:52pm

@will, I think thats spelled Christmas


Will's picture
Will
December 18, 2009 - 11:31pm
@arizona: No comment from the peanut gallery.

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Will's picture
Will
December 18, 2009 - 11:50pm
jedion357 wrote:
Rum Rogue wrote:
  but with a name of "Dr. Saddistic Frag Hole" would he really get all that many followers? Innocent 


LOL, of late I dont even bother giving names to NPC in an adventure blurb just the descriptive line that helps me think about them and if the adventure gets off the ground I slip a name in latter.
To clarify the cult is run by Physco-social skilled guys who would remind me of the snake cult leader in the Conan movie.
And Dr Saddistic works with the cult management but he's not a true believer, he's using them for the opportunity to work on his own pet theories and experiments and they're happy to use him for his abilities.
This sets up a divided agenda but cooporative agenda at the upper eschelons of cult leadership.
It could be that the cultist are just nut jobs and are no more evil then any other deluded nut but the Dr is truly evil OR the cult leadership are the farthest thing from deluded but down right evil but the good Dr is only saddistic and slightly deluded and is allowing himself to be used as its an opportunity to experiement on beings that would never be allowed in normal society and he really believes in his deluded theories.

Or The cult leadership and the Dr are both thoroughly evil with evil plans and they're both content to use each other.



You could always call him Doctor Mindbender. Innocent

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

AZ_GAMER's picture
AZ_GAMER
December 20, 2009 - 8:39pm
Laughing hahahhahhahahaha @ Will. Merry Christmas Will

Will's picture
Will
December 20, 2009 - 9:53pm
Feliz Navidad from the reservation, Arizona.

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation