(OT) Filet & Shrimp on the Barby

Shadow Shack's picture
Shadow Shack
November 14, 2009 - 4:04am
So I don't normally take pictures of my dinner...I prefer to sit down and gobble it while it's still hot --- but it was my wife's birthday dinner Thursday night and she insisted on a few snapshots.

And it's a preview of the traditional SS Thanksgiving dinner (substitute the shrimp with lobster tails).


---THE MENU ---

Filet Mignon (1½" thick, 15oz & 10oz cuts)
Broiled Shrimp (10-12 count, one pound yielded 14 pcs)
Corn on the cob
French fried potatoes
Bordeax, Mouton & Cadet

(not depicted: Heineken left over from last night's bratwurst and a Samuel Adams winter classics 12 pack --- I liked the Coastal Wheat and Holiday Porter, the wife really liked the Cranberry Lambic)


--- PREPARATION ---

marinade - I like to use an italian dressing mixed with a splash of either honey dijon or dijon vinaigrett, mixed 50/50 with whatever steak sauce I happen to have available (tonight was KC Masterpieces honey smoke), occasionally mixed with whatever red wine I may be serving with the steak, as was the case for tonight. The steaks soaked this concoction up for a good 24 hours, along with some ground peper and powdered garlic, rotated at 12 hours. A pinch of baking soda was mixed into the marinade for one to two hours before cooking (I do an hour each side), this keeps the meat tender when cooking.

The shrimp soaked up a concoction of lemon juice, melted butter, ground pepper, and garlic.

Potatoes were cut and sliced, prepped in corn oil, and doused with salt, garlic powder, and paprika when finished.

The corn was wrapped in aluminum foil, husk and all, and went on the grill right after the fire was lit (baked potatoes are equally awesome this way). The shrimp followed later, wrapped in another foil ball with more lemon juice, fresh butter, and a sprinkling of pepper, garlic, and paprika...the whole thing was on a pan (as the foil tends to spring leaks after a while) which went over the flame.

Filet #1 followed, my wife prefers medium well to well done (medium ruined in my book), and when filet #2 went down the shrimp came out of the foil and were cooked alongside on the grill.






...and of course there was cake.
I'm not overly fond of Zeb's Guide...nor do I have any qualms stating why. Tongue out

My SF website
Comments:

jedion357's picture
jedion357
November 14, 2009 - 6:25am
SSSSWWWEEEEEETTT!!

I love BBQ!

This year I was doing "Off Road" cooking- no recipes just flying by the seat of the pants type cooking- and I wrapped shrimp with bacon, skewered it on bamboo and marinated in BBQ sauces before grilling.

I'm a huge fan of shrimp and lobsta but man the bacon was so awsome that way that the wife and I were stealing it from the kid's plates

Saddly I have no pictures cause I "sat down and gobbled it while it was still hot"
I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

Will's picture
Will
November 14, 2009 - 9:41am
/me plans roadtrip to Lost Wages for real soon now.

Man can cook as well as fix motorcycles...what other wicked talents are you hiding?

As a side note, I don't usually fool with marinades, just a personal pref; I season  my steaks with a mixture of one part table salt to three parts pepper, scorch it on both sides, DONE!(I call it medium rare, everyone else calls it raw, good to me either way), and it cuts like butter.

Steak and lobster tails for Thanksgiving? And, for Christmas?

Just a few random thoughts before gluttony completely takes over my brain.

BTW, Happy Birthday, Mrs Shadow.
 

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

TerlObar's picture
TerlObar
November 14, 2009 - 1:28pm
I'll be in Vegas visiting my folks Friday night/Saturday morning after Thanksgiving.  I may just have to raid Shadow's house for leftovers. Smile
Ad Astra Per Ardua!
Webmaster - The Star Frontiers Network & this site
Founding Editor - The Frontier Explorer Magazine
Managing Editor - The Star Frontiersman Magazine

Will's picture
Will
November 14, 2009 - 3:04pm
Assuming he leaves any leftovers....Laughing

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

umungus's picture
umungus
November 14, 2009 - 4:14pm
Bacon is a powerful food...

At least I got to scare an alien rabbit thingy......


Will's picture
Will
November 14, 2009 - 4:18pm
So is steak.

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Georgie's picture
Georgie
November 14, 2009 - 6:28pm
I with Will on the preferred style of preparation and will skip the shrimp, thank you, but them's some good eats. Nice selection of brews as well. Do you to delivery?

And, of course, a happy birthday to the lovely Mrs. Shadow Shack.
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.    * Attributed to Mahatma Gandhi

umungus's picture
umungus
November 14, 2009 - 10:13pm
Will wrote:
So is steak.


True. Now wrap it in bacon and you've got something.

At least I got to scare an alien rabbit thingy......


jedion357's picture
jedion357
November 14, 2009 - 10:19pm
Just rub it with rock salt and let it marrinate then grill- Brazillian style
I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

Shadow Shack's picture
Shadow Shack
November 15, 2009 - 3:47am

I really wanted to wrap the filets in bacon but I've been avoiding pork lately. I'll probably splurge and use it on not-Turkey day though LOL (and that wrapped shrimp sounds tasty Jed)


I'd like to try my hand at searing or blackening soon.


And as Will presumes, these meals rarely yield leftovers!


The wife usually handles the Christmas feast, making Cuban style chicken. Basically it's a whole chicken stuffed with onion and garlic and sprinkled with a bunch of seasoning whose names I won't even attempt to type as they hail from a local carneceria (hispanic meat market), and once seasoned the bird gets wrapped in...bacon.

That yields leftovers for a day or two.


Alas, I'm quite the grilling fool. This is pratically my Thursday tradition (although I wish I could say I prep such meals each week as well) and I'll do it rain or shine, warm or cool...with exception to January's gale force winds as I don't particularly care for foreign objects blown into the mix. I tried it one time, everything tasted like dust. One of the few times it rained here I was out grilling with an umbrella. It almost bums me out when I'm done cooking and that fire is still going...but the drool factor quickly kicks in.

I'm not overly fond of Zeb's Guide...nor do I have any qualms stating why. Tongue out

My SF website

Will's picture
Will
November 15, 2009 - 9:37am
umungus wrote:
Will wrote:
So is steak.


True. Now wrap it in bacon and you've got something.


Ewww. Bacon is for paté and cheeseburgers, Marine.

And for grilled chicken, along with some blue cheese.

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Will's picture
Will
November 15, 2009 - 9:38am
Georgie wrote:
I with Will on the preferred style of preparation and will skip the shrimp, thank you, but them's some good eats. Nice selection of brews as well. Do you to delivery?

And, of course, a happy birthday to the lovely Mrs. Shadow Shack.


Shrimp and steak are good.

So steak and lobster tail.

Steak, scallops, and gator tail is best.

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Will's picture
Will
November 15, 2009 - 9:43am
Shadow wrote:
The wife usually handles the Christmas feast, making Cuban style chicken. Basically it's a whole chicken stuffed with onion and garlic and sprinkled with a bunch of seasoning whose names I won't even attempt to type as they hail from a local carneceria (hispanic meat market), and once seasoned the bird gets wrapped in...bacon.

That yields leftovers for a day or two.


Mmmmm, sounds good. She serve it with rice, potatoes or yams?

Better yet, serve it with some good old Cajun boudin on the side, and you've got yourself a meal!

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Will's picture
Will
November 15, 2009 - 9:45am
jedion357 wrote:
Just rub it with rock salt and let it marrinate then grill- Brazillian style


There's a new one on me. Sounds like the meat would be good and tender.

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

jedion357's picture
jedion357
November 15, 2009 - 9:50pm
Will wrote:
jedion357 wrote:
Just rub it with rock salt and let it marrinate then grill- Brazillian style


There's a new one on me. Sounds like the meat would be good and tender.


tasty and juicy, I keep a can of kosher rock salt in the pantry all the time now.
Blew my mind when the wife did that and gave it to me to cook on the grill though saddly I'm force to cook hers till there is no red in sight of the meat very sad that is I tell ya.
The other good thing I got from the wife though is that we never cook hot dogs on the grill but drop the dime for good italian or fennel sausage and some times "chinese style sausage" or any other quality sausage.

all i can say is Brazillian ideas about BBQ and typical american ones are not on the same page and I'm sold on the Brazillian BBQ!
I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

Rum Rogue's picture
Rum Rogue
November 15, 2009 - 11:01pm
jedion357 wrote:
 
The other good thing I got from the wife though is that we never cook hot dogs on the grill but drop the dime for good italian or fennel sausage and some times "chinese style sausage" or any other quality sausage.

all i can say is Brazillian ideas about BBQ and typical american ones are not on the same page and I'm sold on the Brazillian BBQ!

Hebrew National makes some very tasty kosher hot dogs. I will buy them over regular dogs any day.

I am realy curios about the rock salt and Brazilian BBQ.
Please post some more info!!
Time flies when your having rum.

Im a government employee, I dont goof-off. I constructively abuse my time.

Will's picture
Will
November 16, 2009 - 1:26am
jedi wrote:
tasty and juicy, I keep a can of kosher rock salt in the pantry all the time now.
Blew my mind when the wife did that and gave it to me to cook on the grill though saddly I'm force to cook hers till there is no red in sight of the meat very sad that is I tell ya.


I know, it's a terrible, terrible thing to do to a poor, defenseless steak.

Even worse than killing it with Italian dressing....

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Will's picture
Will
November 16, 2009 - 1:18am
Rum Rogue wrote:
Hebrew National makes some very tasty kosher hot dogs. I will buy them over regular dogs any day.

I am realy curios about the rock salt and Brazilian BBQ.
Please post some more info!!

 
Tasty, but expensive.

All I can afford is Bar S.

As for sausage, I like Italian, I like fennel, I like the Chinese, I like brats.

But there's truly no sausage like boudin.

Laissez le bon temps rouler!

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Shadow Shack's picture
Shadow Shack
November 16, 2009 - 3:15am

"Will" wrote:
Mmmmm, sounds good. She serve it with rice, potatoes or yams?


Yes.


And BTW, one more way to kill a perfectly good steak?


Pour some A-1 onto it.




Now for something completely different: a proven method for cooking carp. Yes, you read that right: carp: those infernal $#!T eating fish that lurk near the surface and tend to snare your bait that is intended for real fish...there's an actual method for cooking them that works great.

> dig a hole, about two feet deep.
> line the bottom with charcoal and kindling, and light it up
> add a layer of hardwood over the fire with holes drilled through it at 3 inch intervals, positioned about half a foot over the fire.
> place the carp on the wood plank
> cover with leaves
> after thirty minutes, remove the leaves, throw the dead carp back in the lake, and eat the wood.

I'm not overly fond of Zeb's Guide...nor do I have any qualms stating why. Tongue out

My SF website

Georgie's picture
Georgie
November 16, 2009 - 4:25pm
Laughing
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.    * Attributed to Mahatma Gandhi

Will's picture
Will
November 17, 2009 - 2:18am
Too funny....

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

jedion357's picture
jedion357
November 17, 2009 - 11:05pm
Shadow Shack wrote:


Now for something completely different: a proven method for cooking carp. Yes, you read that right: carp: those infernal $#!T eating fish that lurk near the surface and tend to snare your bait that is intended for real fish...there's an actual method for cooking them that works great.

> dig a hole, about two feet deep.
> line the bottom with charcoal and kindling, and light it up
> add a layer of hardwood over the fire with holes drilled through it at 3 inch intervals, positioned about half a foot over the fire.
> place the carp on the wood plank
> cover with leaves
> after thirty minutes, remove the leaves, throw the dead carp back in the lake, and eat the wood.



Reminds me of the recipe I got from an old indian for cooking Loons (black water foul found in the NE that dives deep for fish)

To cook a loon put a rock in the pot with the loon, when the rock is done the loon is done.
I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

umungus's picture
umungus
November 18, 2009 - 5:50pm
Texas Gruesome Stew:
- Shoot a coyote
- Hang from a barb wire fence
- put a cork in its butt
- place a bucket underneath
- let it bloat in the hot Texas sun for a few days
- When the cork pops its ready to serve

Sealed

At least I got to scare an alien rabbit thingy......


Ascent's picture
Ascent
November 18, 2009 - 6:00pm
You SUCK! I hate you! I can't grab that food off my screen! What am I, a miracle worker??? You can send fresh food to me by courier. Make sure they drive fast!
View my profile for a list of articles I have written, am writing, will write.
"It's yo' mama!" —Wicket W. Warrick, Star Wars Ep. VI: Return of the Jedi
"That guy's wise." —Logray, Star Wars Ep.VI: Return of the Jedi
Do You Wanna Date My Avatar? - Felicia Day (The Guild)