Designation Numbers needed

Shadow Shack's picture
Shadow Shack
February 19, 2009 - 5:01pm
Over at the Deck Plans project (check it out if you haven't seen it yet) I have posted info on UPF frigate and destroyer deck plans.

Anyone that has seen that stuff may have caught on to my registration numbers from the frigate and destroyer, you'll notice I did homages to Star Trek and Star Wars series using the numbers 1701 on the frigate and 1138 on the destroyer respectively. I am now embarking on a set of light cruiser deck plans and since this will be the third in a series of capital ships, I was wondering if anyone knows of some designations from other 80s sci fi flicks, like perhaps some designation number from Battlestar Galactica or something from the Buck Rogers series that I can incorporate on the cruiser.
I'm not overly fond of Zeb's Guide...nor do I have any qualms stating why. Tongue out

My SF website
Comments:

Bilygote's picture
Bilygote
February 19, 2009 - 9:34pm
SAAB: The Saratoga was SCVN-2812
Alien: Nostromo 180286

Bilygote's picture
Bilygote
February 19, 2009 - 10:08pm
Wing Commander: TCS Tiger's Claw CV-07

Anonymous's picture
w00t (not verified)
February 19, 2009 - 11:53pm
Species 8472 Bioship
Klingon D-7
Bird of Prey

and my favorite...

The Jefferson Starship  Foot in mouth

Will's picture
Will
February 20, 2009 - 5:54pm
The only designation number from Buck Rogers(the 80s series) that was ever given was the one for Buck's own starfighter: 1314.

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Shadow Shack's picture
Shadow Shack
February 21, 2009 - 6:16am
Thanks everyone...

Will wrote:
The only designation number from Buck Rogers(the 80s series) that was ever given was the one for Buck's own starfighter: 1314.



Cool, I was about to start watching my BR collection to find that, it was on the tip of my mind but for the life of me I couldn't remember it LOL

It actually works out well too, in 111 years I just don't see the UPF having produced more than 2000 or 3000 craft, and light cruisers being newer additions to the fleet I don't see them with low numbers either. Saratoga's "2812" could work if I opt to try my hand at a battleship late on, I'll keep that one in mind...1314 works out perfectly as it fits right between the numbers on the frigate (newer) and destroyer (older).

UPFS - 1314/LC is hereby christened as Shack's SF Light Cruiser LOL
I'm not overly fond of Zeb's Guide...nor do I have any qualms stating why. Tongue out

My SF website

Will's picture
Will
February 21, 2009 - 4:11pm
The UPFS Shadow Shack....

Or, maybe, the UPFS Feathersword.

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

aramis's picture
aramis
February 21, 2009 - 5:44pm
How about tribute to Lucas' THX-1138 or Orwell's 1984

Will's picture
Will
February 21, 2009 - 7:49pm

He's covered 1138 for the destroyer(the 1138 reference from SW was a tribute to his earlier movie).

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Bilygote's picture
Bilygote
February 21, 2009 - 11:45pm
Saratoga was a carrier in SAAB, JFK Class

Shadow Shack's picture
Shadow Shack
February 22, 2009 - 4:53am
1138 actually appeared several times in the various SW flicks. I can't recall all of them (and it certainly wasn't as frequent as "I've got a bad feeling about this"), but for starters it was Princess Leia's cell number at the Death Star.

It also appeared on one of the license plates in American Graffiti,  on the yellow hot rod if memory serves me.

More useless trivia...LOL
I'm not overly fond of Zeb's Guide...nor do I have any qualms stating why. Tongue out

My SF website

Will's picture
Will
February 22, 2009 - 1:44pm
First THX-1138 reference: Death Star officer to one of two unfortunate Stormtroopers inside the Millenium Falcon: "THX-1138, why aren't you responding?"

It was the yellow hot rod, Shadow.

More useless trivia: Han wasn't the first character to say,"I've got a bad feeling about this."

That honor belongs to Luke, upon the Falcon being bounced by a TIE fighter in the Alderaan system.

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Shadow Shack's picture
Shadow Shack
February 23, 2009 - 5:38am

Hmm...my copy says "TK-421 why aren't you at your post". I believe TK-421 (or whatever the designation is) is the only "named" stormtrooper in the entire series. Although there was a "Commander Cody" and "Oddball"...but they were clone troopers not stormtroopers.


And more stormtrooper trivia --- when the division arrives where 3PO and R2 are hiding out (while the rest are dealing with the garbage masher), one stormtrooper bumps his head before the door rises all the way up. Jango Fett does the same thing in Attack of the Clones as he is boarding the Slave 1...suggesting this "bumping of the head" was passed on through genetic cloning.

"Bad Feeling" makes no fewer than two appearances per flick...and technically since Episode 1 takes place before "New Hope", Obi-Wan is the first to use it (in the opening scene on the Trade Federation Ship) LOL

I'm not overly fond of Zeb's Guide...nor do I have any qualms stating why. Tongue out

My SF website

jedion357's picture
jedion357
February 23, 2009 - 12:22pm
Shadow Shack wrote:

"Bad Feeling" makes no fewer than two appearances per flick...and technically since Episode 1 takes place before "New Hope", Obi-Wan is the first to use it (in the opening scene on the Trade Federation Ship) LOL



Whoa split that hair with a light saber!
:)
I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

Anonymous's picture
w00t (not verified)
February 23, 2009 - 2:08pm
Shadow Shack wrote:

And more stormtrooper trivia --- when the division arrives where 3PO and R2 are hiding out (while the rest are dealing with the garbage masher), one stormtrooper bumps his head before the door rises all the way up. Jango Fett does the same thing in Attack of the Clones as he is boarding the Slave 1...suggesting this "bumping of the head" was passed on through genetic cloning.


I thought Stormtroopers were conscripted humans?
Does anyone know when the last clone died?

Will's picture
Will
February 23, 2009 - 4:44pm
Shadow Shack wrote:

Hmm...my copy says "TK-421 why aren't you at your post". I believe TK-421 (or whatever the designation is) is the only "named" stormtrooper in the entire series. Although there was a "Commander Cody" and "Oddball"...but they were clone troopers not stormtroopers.


And more stormtrooper trivia --- when the division arrives where 3PO and R2 are hiding out (while the rest are dealing with the garbage masher), one stormtrooper bumps his head before the door rises all the way up. Jango Fett does the same thing in Attack of the Clones as he is boarding the Slave 1...suggesting this "bumping of the head" was passed on through genetic cloning.

"Bad Feeling" makes no fewer than two appearances per flick...and technically since Episode 1 takes place before "New Hope", Obi-Wan is the first to use it (in the opening scene on the Trade Federation Ship) LOL



You're right, it was TK-421, I just rewatched the movie for the 9×10^99th time, and I saw that...maybe, I'm thinking of the novelization, but I'd have to read the novel(or find my Star Wars Encyclopedia) to be sure.

The head bumping I did notice.

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Will's picture
Will
February 23, 2009 - 4:47pm
jedion357 wrote:
Shadow Shack wrote:

"Bad Feeling" makes no fewer than two appearances per flick...and technically since Episode 1 takes place before "New Hope", Obi-Wan is the first to use it (in the opening scene on the Trade Federation Ship) LOL



Whoa split that hair with a light saber!
:)


You can only vaporize hair with a light saber. Laughing

And, yeah, technically, Obi-Wan is the first to use the "bad feeling" line.

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

TerlObar's picture
TerlObar
February 23, 2009 - 8:23pm
I believe in the book, the stormtrooper is THX-1138.  I know it is different than the movie designation.  I'd check but my book is in Utah and I'm in CaliCry.

And for more movie bloopers, when Luke gets out of the X-wing after blowing up the Death Star, Leia runs up to him calling his name and he responds by yelling out "Carrie" instead of Leia.  At least that's what it sounds like.
Ad Astra Per Ardua!
Webmaster - The Star Frontiers Network & this site
Founding Editor - The Frontier Explorer Magazine
Managing Editor - The Star Frontiersman Magazine

jedion357's picture
jedion357
February 23, 2009 - 10:58pm
And I thought I was hard core- all I ever found was in the original retern of the Jedi (not the latter one with extra digital sceens added) was the green slave girl dancing for Jabba- I noticed her left boob come out of her costume and bounce up and down while she danced. Its not like her costume hid anything it was just fish net shirt anyway.

I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

Shadow Shack's picture
Shadow Shack
February 24, 2009 - 5:37am

Yep, between Leia's slave girl outfit and the Twilek dancer's wardrobe failure, ROTJ was a great flick for us teens hitting puberty LOL


It is possible that the novel had it written differently. It might even have a similar novelized text in the Marvel comic adaptations as they used the book to script their versions which launched simultaneously with the movies (a comic book is typically written 1-3 months prior to its release date). It's been forever and a day since I perused either one, but now I'm curious. No idea where my novel is buried (I have several copies of the 77 flick including a beat 2nd printing) but I have the Marvel series handy.

"Woot" wrote:
I thought Stormtroopers were conscripted humans?
Does anyone know when the last clone died?


By the time they were designated "stormtroopers" the Empire was pretty much recruiting rather than cloning. Remember that there's at least a 20 year gap between Revenge of the Sith and New Hope. In order to build up such a massive war machine, recruitment would get troops into action much faster than the 10 year Kamino cloning plan. But many Lucas and non-Lucas approved sources hint at continued cloning all the way up to Palpatine's demise and beyond (re: Timothy Zahn's "Heir to the Empire" trilogy, a post-ROTJ tale). My guess would be the few clones with inherent genetic military skill developements would be ranking troopers (sergeants etc) to lead the normal human troopers that had to learn their military skills via basic training.

Another popular backstory backs this up --- Han Solo is believed to have started his career in the Empire as a stormtrooper (or maybe even rising as far as a ranking officer), and while witnessing the Empire's harsh treatment of a slave campaign in Kashyyk (sp?) he liberated Chewbacca who pledges a life debt to Solo, who defects into civilian life and proceeds to win a fabled Sabaac hand against a certain Mr. Calrissian to win a YT-1300 light freighter --- thus becoming a rogue smuggler...

I'm not overly fond of Zeb's Guide...nor do I have any qualms stating why. Tongue out

My SF website

Will's picture
Will
February 26, 2009 - 5:52pm
I thought Han was supposed to have been a TIE pilot(least that's what I thought it said in Star's End).

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Shadow Shack's picture
Shadow Shack
February 26, 2009 - 6:03pm
His story has never been fully developed, mostly in novelization and comic book adaptations. One thing is for sure, he somehow served the Empire before turning into a smuggler.

The X-Wing Rogue Squadron series details how many of their members were former TIE pilots and such. Like I said earlier, with 20+ years between ROTS and New Hope there's tons of stories to be developed. I would surely pay to see a Star Wars Episode 3.1 Boba Fett's Tale, Episode 3.2 How Darth Vader becomes the ultimately feared bad azz (it certainly wasn't from slaying pre-padawan younglings), 3.5 Han Solo, etc...
I'm not overly fond of Zeb's Guide...nor do I have any qualms stating why. Tongue out

My SF website

Rum Rogue's picture
Rum Rogue
February 27, 2009 - 6:13am
Shadow Shack wrote:
One thing is for sure, he somehow served the Empire before turning into a smuggler.

I always heard that the pants he wears in New Hope were part of his old uniform. 
Maybe he was Palpatine's bellhop.
Time flies when your having rum.

Im a government employee, I dont goof-off. I constructively abuse my time.

Will's picture
Will
February 27, 2009 - 5:45pm



"There's your tip," Palpatine said to the young bellboy Han Solo.

I agree with you, Shadow, would love to see some movies cover the backstory on a lot of these characters, especially Solo, Fett, and Vader. 

That being said, I am hugely disappointed with pretty much any EU material after the Thrawn trilogy, especially New Jedi Order(excepting the Force Heretic trilogy, which was good) and those pieces of crap which were the Legacy of the Force books(oh my God! They killed Pellaeon! You bastards! Oh my god again, they turned Tahiri into comic relief! Now, hack writers, you must die!).

Best EU novel, hands down, is Shatterpoint.    

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Shadow Shack's picture
Shadow Shack
February 28, 2009 - 5:54am
Rum Rogue wrote:

I always heard that the pants he wears in New Hope were part of his old uniform.


I'd read that somewhere too, but other novelizations/comics adaptations refer to those pants as having "Corellian Blood Stripes".
I'm not overly fond of Zeb's Guide...nor do I have any qualms stating why. Tongue out

My SF website

Rum Rogue's picture
Rum Rogue
February 28, 2009 - 12:51pm
Shadow Shack wrote:
Rum Rogue wrote:

I always heard that the pants he wears in New Hope were part of his old uniform.


I'd read that somewhere too, but other novelizations/comics adaptations refer to those pants as having "Corellian Blood Stripes".


I think the only place I read it was on the back of the 12" action-figure (not doll) sold after the first movie was released.
That would be the only reference I can recall.
Time flies when your having rum.

Im a government employee, I dont goof-off. I constructively abuse my time.

Shadow Shack's picture
Shadow Shack
March 1, 2009 - 5:09am
I honestly can't recall where I read about the blood stripes, but I want to say it was in the thick Galaxy Guide (covered all the resources from movies, novels, comics, and RPG material) printed before Phantom Menace. Having never owned any of the 12" figures nor seen any of the boxes, that wasn't where I read it so it's got to be in more than one place LOL

Suffice it to say, when it comes to the Lucas-verse there's a lot of fiction versus fictional fact.


(and I have just enough geek in me to enjoy such a debate LOL)
I'm not overly fond of Zeb's Guide...nor do I have any qualms stating why. Tongue out

My SF website

Will's picture
Will
March 1, 2009 - 1:43pm
Darth Shadow wrote:
(and I have just enough geek in me to enjoy such a debate LOL)


Aww, and I wanted so much to get into the WEG vs. d20 vs Saga debate....Smile

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Shadow Shack's picture
Shadow Shack
March 2, 2009 - 5:57am

See, that's why I say "just enough geek"...the whole d20 stuff flies right over my head. Add to that I also don't know squat about 'puters.

I'm only half geek, on my father's uncle's brother's nephew's cousin's former room-mate's side.



"Keep firing, @$$holes!!!"

I'm not overly fond of Zeb's Guide...nor do I have any qualms stating why. Tongue out

My SF website

Will's picture
Will
March 2, 2009 - 4:00pm

Shadow Shack wrote:
Add to that I also don't know squat about 'puters.


Join the club...

"You're everything that's base in humanity," Cochrane continued. "Drawing up strict, senseless rules for the sole reason of putting you at the top and excluding anyone you say doesn't belong or fit in, for no other reason than just because you say so."


—Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stephens, Federation

Shadow Shack's picture
Shadow Shack
March 3, 2009 - 5:45am
Aw c'mon....the Spaceballs quote was the highlight of that last post Foot in mouth

But now I know why we mesh so well...you're obviously my long lost half-geek half-brother!
I'm not overly fond of Zeb's Guide...nor do I have any qualms stating why. Tongue out

My SF website